Monday 4 March 2013

February & Llanelli Waterside Half

Cut back a bit post #Janathon, extending my long run into double figures but making sure I had at least 3 rest days most week at the early signs of plantar fasciitis were beginning to show (aching feet in the morning etc) after the daily runs.  Total mileage for the month then dropped from 126 in Jan to a mere 90 in the years' second month. However, I felt good throughout the month getting some tempo runs in and generally finishing my long, slow, distance efforts feeling like I had a little bit left... so I entered a half marathon!

You may remember, if you follow me on twitter (@wgal_uk) that I have won a place in April's Merlin Half Marathon in Carmarthen but the Llanelli Waterside Half Marathon on March 3rd proved irresistible even at a steepish entry fee of £28.

Duly entered, March 3rd came around and the temperature at the race car-park was a "fresh" -4C.  However, once underway the value of the Janathon miles, the February long runs and those local hills all proved their worth and I managed to clock 1:50:11 finishing 682nd of 1658 finishers.  Now it was only my second half, the other being a trail half in Cirencester 2 years ago, but I didn't expect to knock 12 minutes off the time I clocked for that race. Indeed, I didn't expect to get anything like the time I got but everything went well... even the stiff breeze at mile 8ish to 12 wasn't as bad as some of the weather I've experienced on Llanelli Waterfront in the past!

So in summary, good miles in Feb and a nice, new, sub 2 hr PB at Half-Marathon distance... and still not injured!!  2013 is going okay so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment